Sunday, March 4, 2012

Home Made Lures Update

Here is a short post on my slim type lure. As you can see I painted it bright yellow with a white belly. It was painted with a brush and the result is just about ok.




The swimming action is a wobble "a la Rapala Original" which is what I was after. Some adjustments have to be made to the future models because it is slightly tail heavy and doesn't swim completely horizontally as I wanted.
As I couldn't just sit there watching the paint dry I started another model still in a slim style but this time I wanted a 17 cm floating lure. Being a prototype I kept it rather square so as to keep as much wood as possible to make sure it floated.




It has the same wobble swimming action and weighs about 22 grs. When it came down to painting I went for a suggestion made by "Mrkinfisher3" and also varnished it with an epoxy varnish for durability.

Remember these are prototypes so the finishes aren't top quality. I have now developed a way of completely hiding the wood grain. New versions are in the production line and I hope to unveil them early in the week.




Happy Fishing

3 comments:

  1. Hi Frank,

    these are great!
    I like the square bib and overall square shape of your lures.
    They remind me of an old Volvo, in a good way.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried soaking them in some kind of sealer to waterproof the wood. I know it sounds redundant but the wood will get water logged and the lure will not perform as good. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mr. Expat.

    If it works half as well as the volvo did I can be very, very pleased.

    Fish whisperer.

    They do have wood sealant. I don't dip in but apply three coats then sand, and then another two coasts. It takes longer but I assure you they don't get water logged. Thanks anyway. All suggestions are welcome.

    Happy Fishing

    ReplyDelete