Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bait Fish / Smelt - Updated

Update
Thanks to "Carbono21", one of my followers and who has one of my favourite blogs (http://pasionporelcantabrico.blogspot.com.es/), I can now say that the correct name of the "Smelt" below is "Argentina presbyter". It's great to have followers of this category and for a professional like him to save the day. Thank you mate.


As I’m doing a series of posts on fishing with live bait fish I also wanted to let readers know what type of fish I’ll be using. It suddenly turned into the most difficult post to date. Finding the correct species has been a challenge and after several days of research I’m still not 100% sure I’ve got the right one.

The fish in question is commonly known as “smelt”, of this we can be sure. However, pinning it down to a specific one turned into several trips to the library and countless internet searches. I now have two possible candidates; “Argentina sphyreana” and “Argentina silus”. In truth something between these two would be perfect. 

The reason I’m confused is that after reading about both these candidates a little of both seems to be correct but at the same time some things about both don’t seem correct, such as habitat, location or size. I’m about 30% in favour of “Argentina sphyreana” and 65% of me leans towards “Argentina silus” leaving 5% open to other suggestions. It has dawned on me that there are a lot of fish in our seas that have been studied very little.

Anyway, it's definitely a fish, a little one.

Library Pictures:
Argentina sphyreana

Argentina silus

My pictures
Argentina Presbyter

If anyone has more to add I would greatly appreciate your comment.

Happy Fishing

2 comments:

  1. Hello Frank! I think that your fishes are Atherina presbyter. It´s a very common specie in the north of spain and a good food for Sea-bass and for people jeje..

    Sorry for my english.

    Saludos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amigo.

    Thank very much. It's amasing that Argentina presbyter isn't in any of the web sites I found. I think you should start by making an entry in Wikipepia! and then some other sites I send you.

    Your enlish is fine. Better than my asturiano! jejeje.

    Muchas gracias. Es alucinante que Argentina presbyter no esta en niguna de los sitios web que encontre. creo que debes empezar haciendo una entrada en Wikipedia! y luego en otros sitios que te mandaré.

    lo demas es muy facil!

    All the best. Frank

    ReplyDelete