Monday, January 30, 2012

Lucky Craft GunFish Top Water Lure

I’ve decided to post a video of one of my favourite top water lures.




Top to bottom: Aurora Black / Aurora Black Zebra / Ghost Minnow Zebra / Sunfish Zebra

I use this lure mainly in estuaries or in very calm seas with great success. Walking the dog with this lure is a piece of cake.

Top water lures are very effective, especially in summer, and very exciting as the hit is clearly visible and you can often see the fish approaching before the attack. You sometimes find that a Sea Bass will actually whack it with the tail and the best thing to do is nothing. Stop retrieving and wait a few seconds, if the bass hasn’t realised the lure is plastic it will spin round and bite. Imagine a bait fish and how it would be stunned by a tail whack, and this is what you should try to mimic. If the fish doesn’t return start retrieving very slowly as if the “bait fish” is slowly recovering and this can provoke the strike.

Try different speeds of retrieval and sometimes stop the lure a couple of seconds before continuing the retrieval.



I highly recommend this lure.


The video was filmed last summer on my mobile phone so the quality isn’t the best. I hope to film a hit this coming summer with the Go Pro Hero.




If you’re going to use this lure in salt water then try to buy the salt water version. Apart fon the packaging it’s easy to indentify because the salt water versions don’t have feathers on the back treble.


Happy Fishing

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Fishing with top water lures is highly addictive, I was waiting for the strike!
    That is one of my favourite form of fishing.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this style!

    In summer I go out with a mate on his boat in the estuaries and the top water beats any other in fun and captures. As I say this coming summer I hope to be able to film some good footage of this style.

    Also when the fresh water season starts in May I'll try and film top water fishing in the lakes and rivers. I also want to try Black Bass for the first time. Fishing Black Bass means a 2 hour trip to the interior bur hopefully I'll find someone who practices this fishing and is willing to act as a guide.

    I'll keep you posted. Frank

    ReplyDelete