Saturday, January 14, 2012

The First Catch of the Year


Welcome to my Monster!

It seems apt that the first post should also be the first catch of this 2012 which if you believe in prophesies is also the last year of life as we know it.

I was a fairly good boy last year and was rewarded with some Soft-Lures and I was also lucky enough to get a Go-Pro Hero submergible camera. The sea was rough, very rough with waves reaching 4 metres and hitting the coast like a high speed train, but I couldn’t wait to try both the lures and the camera.

I’d never fished with soft-lures and, as I said, the sea was rough so I headed to a harbour not five minutes away from home to get a feel of this fishing.

I took my Shimano Twin Power 5000 FB spinning reel and a spool loaded with Fireline XDS 0.16 mm braid line with about 2 metres of Seaguar Soft 0.33 mm leader attached by an Albright knot and finishing with a Rapala clip. A Linea Effe pure carbon 8’.6’’ (2.7 mt) Sea Bass 10 lb Italian Rod with SIC low rider guides.


The Soft-Lure: SavageAR (Savage-Gear) LB 10 cm with a 28 gr jig head (just over an ounce).
The technique can only be described as coast jigging. I Cast and allowed the lure to sink and then begun my jerky retrieval.


I wasn’t expecting a Sea Bass but thought a Pollack might be tempted, I was right. On the third cast I got my hit, but why so much explaining! Just watch the video!


Ok! I didn’t quite get the angle of the Go Pro Hero right but I've improved since then.

It’s a shame you can’t hear the sea raging on the other side of the barrier behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment